Lentil Walnut Tacos in Lettuce WrapsCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
1 cup uncooked French green lentils
1 cup walnut pieces
1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. chilli powder
½ tsp. sea salt
1 ½ tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. water
2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
Lettuce wraps (large romaine, Butter, or red lettuce leaves)
Diced tomatoes or salsa
Cilantro sprigs (optional)
Fresh lime juice, for garnish
- Cook the lentils: Rinse lentils in a fine mesh sieve. Add to a medium pot along with a few cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender (cook time will vary depending on the type of lentils you use – see package). Drain off excess water.
- Toast the walnuts: Preheat oven to 300F. Add walnuts onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10-13 minutes, watching closely, until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Sauté the pepper + onion filling: Add 1/2-1 tablespoon of oil into a large skillet or wok. Cook the onion and peppers over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, reducing heat if necessary and stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Prepare the taco filling: Add 1 3/4 cups cooked lentils (you’ll have some leftover) and all the toasted walnuts into a food processor and pulse until chopped (make sure to leave texture). Stir or pulse in the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir in the oil and the water until combined.
- Prepare the rest of your vegetable toppings and wash + dry the lettuce wraps.
- Assemble: Add a large lettuce leaf onto a plate, top with taco meat, sautéed peppers + onion, and the rest of your desired toppings. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in sealed containers to be enjoyed the next couple days.