Southwest Tofu ScrambleCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
8 oz. extra firm tofu
1 tbsp. grape seed oil
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
½ red pepper, thinly sliced
2 cups kale, loosely chopped
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. cumin powder
¼ tsp. chilli powder
¼ tsp. turmeric (optional, for color)
1.5 tbsp. hemp seeds
Toasted 100% rye bread with butter
Optional: Salsa, cilantro, hot sauce
- Pat tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel with something heavy on top, such as a pot or book, for 15 minutes. While tofu is draining, prepare sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp. grape seed oil and the onion and red pepper. Season veggies with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add kale, cover to steam for 2 minutes. In the meantime, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Use a spatula to move the veggies to one side of the pan and add tofu. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add sauce, pouring it mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, evenly distributing the sauce. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
- Once tofu is ready, sprinkle with hemp seeds, and serve immediately with a slice of rye toast. Top with salsa, cilantro and/or hot sauce, if desired.
- Adapted from: http://minimalistbaker.com/southwest-tofu-scramble/