Barley PilafCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup pearl barley
2 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 medium carrot, peeled, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
(Optional) 1 tsp pesto
- Heat oil in heavy medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add barley; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaf; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, stir once, and cover. Cook until barley is almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add carrot and bell pepper; cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Remove pilaf from heat and stir. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and add pesto if using.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in lemon peel and serve.
Comments are closed.