Chicken Piccata with Steamed RapiniCourse: Main
2 small chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, butterflied and cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Arrowroot powder or non-wheat flour for dredging
4 tbsp. ghee/clarified butter
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup chicken stock
¼ cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 bunch rapini, washed and trimmed
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of ghee with 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- When butter and oil start to sizzle, add chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and transfer chicken on a plate.
- Add the lemon juice, stock and capers to the pan. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning.
- Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile steam the rapini for 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons ghee to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and rapini and garnish with parsley.
- Adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chicken-piccata-recipe2.html