Italian White Bean, Spinach and Beef SoupCourse: Soups
1 lb ground beef
1/2 large yellow onion, diced into 1/2″ pieces
4 large garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken stock
Crushed sea salt or kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 cups cooked white cannellini or great northern beans, or 1 can of beans
10 ounces fresh spinach (washed and stems removed)
Pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated for topping
- In a medium size stock pot, over medium heat, brown the beef for about five minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Drain excess grease and return to the stove.
- Add the onions and the garlic and continue cooking until the onions are soft.
- Add the chicken stock, beans, thyme and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- While this is simmering, roughly tear or chop the spinach into 1-2″ pieces. Add the spinach to the pot and simmer for a minute or two, until the spinach is wilted.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Top with cheese.