Persian Barley and Bean StewCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
1 cup barley, soaked overnight
½ cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
½ cup beans (i.e. white beans), soaked overnight
½ cup lentils
1 cup chopped parsley
1 cup chopped leeks
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup chopped spinach
1 cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped dill (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: sliced onions, turmeric, mint
- In a large stew pot, place barley, chickpeas, beans, lentils and add 6 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 1 hour and 40 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Add the chopped vegetables/herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir a few times to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. Add more water if necessary. Cook for another 20 minutes on low heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- In the meantime, in a small pan heat some oil, sauté the sliced onions until golden brown, add turmeric and mint, sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Add toppings to barley and bean mixture, and serve.