Persian Eggplant QuicheCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
5 medium sized eggplants, washed
1 large leek, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. spelt flour
½ tsp. turmeric
1/3 tsp. red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp. olive oil
1-2 tbsp. walnuts, chopped
2-3 small tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pierce the eggplants with a fork or a sharp knife in several places. and bake the eggplants for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place in a colander to let the eggplant’s bitter liquid out. Once the eggplants are cooled, separate the skin and chop them and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions until golden brown.
- Add turmeric, stir, add garlic, sauté for 2-3 more minutes and add the sliced leeks. Sauté for an additional 5 more minutes or until the leeks are soft and tender. Sprinkle a dash of salt and add the walnuts and the chopped parsley. Give it a good stir and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggplants, leek and parsley mixture, egg, red pepper, flour and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Lightly grease the bottom of the baking pan. Pour in the mixture and flatten the surface.
- Garnish with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the foil for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- You may put the quiche under the broiler for an additional 4-5 minutes or slightly longer to roast the top until it is well cooked.