Persian Lamb Green StewCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
2 lbs. boneless lamb stewing meat, ¾ cubes
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp. turmeric
1 ½ cups water
6 dried limes or ½ cup fresh lime juice
¾ cup kidney beans
1 large potato
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup green onion, finely chopped
1 ½ cups spinach, finely chopped
½ cup parsley, finely chopped
¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
¼ cup fenugreek seeds, finely chopped
2 cups cooked brown rice
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
- Trim meat and cut into 3/4″ cubes.
- Fry onion over medium heat in half of the oil until golden.
- Add turmeric and fry for 2 more minutes. Increase heat, add meat cubes and stir over high heat until meat changes color and begins to turn brown. Reduce heat.
- Add water, drained kidney beans, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer gently for about an hour or until meat is tender.
- Fry potatoes over high heat in the remaining oil until lightly browned. Add to sauce, leaving oil in the pan. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add prepared vegetables to frying pan and fry over medium heat until wilted. Add to sauce, then add dried limes (or lime juice), cover and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with brown rice.