Curried Lentil StewCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
3 tbs grapeseed oil
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbs minced ginger
3 garlic cloves
5 c water
1/4 tsp curry powder
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
¼ cup loosely packed, chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and ½ teaspoon of the salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Puree the ginger, garlic, and ¼ cup of the water in a small food processor, and then add the puree to the onion in the sauté pan. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the chili flakes, curry, turmeric, and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the lentils and the remaining 4 ¾ cups of the water, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and pepper.
- More water can be added to thin out the stew.